Tune-ups: The Essential Element in Car Maintenance
A Tune-up provides preventative maintenance, while identifying and replacing worn parts. They ensure that your vehicle will operate at optimal conditions by maintaining the ideal conditions for normal car operation. Neglecting these basic tasks could result in low gas mileage and damage to critical engine components.
Most cars require regularly scheduled tune-ups around every 30,000 miles, and major maintenance at 60,000 miles. Some newer vehicles may not even require a tune-up until 100,000 miles! Check with your manufacturer or a Car Care technician for what is correct for your vehicle.
A thorough tune-up will include:
- Replacing the air filter.
- Replacing the fuel filter(s).
- Installing new spark plugs and replacing any worn spark plug wires.
- Inspecting and installing a new distributor cap if one is needed.
- Inspecting and installing a new rotor if the old one has cracks, burning and carbon.
- Inspecting the valve-cover gasket and adjusting the valves (if your car has adjustable valves).
- All fluids checked and topped off.
- A battery check and terminal cleaning, if necessary.
- A positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve replaced, if clogged.
- In addition, cars built prior to 1979 have additional requirements. Cars without an electronic ignition require changing the points and condenser. Cars with electronic ignition should have the timing checked.
- Fuel-injected cars need to have the throttle plate cleaned and/or adjust the air-fuel mixture.
- Cars with carburetors may need additional adjustments.
Maintaining a regular tune-up schedule will ensure your car’s longer life, better gas mileage and performance.
Tune Ups with P.B. Foreign and Domestic Car Repair
We offer milestone tune-ups at 30,000, 60,000, and 90,000 miles to align with most manufacturer recommendations. Some newer models may not even require a tune-up until 100,000 miles. Consult with our expert Car Care technicians to find out what’s best for your specific vehicle.
Staying on top of your tune-up schedule will extend your car’s lifespan, enhance fuel efficiency, and improve overall performance. Trust in the expertise of P.B. Foreign and Domestic Car Repair to maintain your vehicle in the best shape possible. Contact us online to schedule an appointment or call us at 1-858-270-1142.